Cambodia Spends Close to US$80 Million to Assist COVID-19 Hit People

AKP Phnom Penh, September 10, 2020 —

The Royal Government of Cambodia has spent nearly US$80 million as emergency cash transfer programme for impoverished families hit hard by the COVID-19 pandemic.

A budget of over US$78 million has been so far provided through the programme, said H.E. Aun Pornmoniroth, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy and Finance.

In a press release issued on Sept. 10, H.E. Aun Pornmoniroth said that the government is continuing to follow up the situation of COVID-19 and is running the social assistance programme to help hard-hit people.

“As of Sept. 8, 2020, the Royal Government of Cambodia has allocated US$78,270,000 to the poor and vulnerable families, and the Royal Government continues to examine and monitor the impact of COVID-19 crisis on the living condition of poor and vulnerable families and to get ready to continue carrying out social assistance programme to maintain socio-economic stability,” underlined H.E. Deputy Prime Minister.

The government launched the first round of emergency cash transfer programme in June and July during which about 600,000 families benefited from the programme.

The second round of the programme is designed for August and September.

(Photo: Khuth Sao)

By Chea Vannak