The Public Feel Secure Against COVID-19

AKP Phnom Penh, August 20, 2020 —

While enjoying the five-day Khmer New Year break compensation, Cambodian people have claimed to feel secure against the COVID-19 pandemic as the preventive measures guided by the Ministry of Health have been carried out well by tourism service providers.

Mr. Pov Sopannarith, a local tourist who was on a holiday with his family in Kampot province, expressed his satisfaction with the implementation of COVID-19 preventive measures, especially at hotels, tourist attractions, as well as restaurants, and even at toilets in some service stations along the way.

“At tourism sites, restaurants, hotels, and even toilets that I passed by, I always noticed the banners on COVID-19 preventive measures as well as provided hand soap and alcohol- and gel-based sanitizers,” he said. “It is a message making us feel secure [..].”
During her trip from Kep to Kampot and finally to Sihanoukville of Preah Sihanouk province, Mrs. Tep Sophan, another local tourist told AKP that she and her family were also concerned about the outbreak of COVID-19, but she felt safe thanks to the preventive measures applied by all services during her trip.

Even though the Ministry of Health’s measures cannot be implemented to 100 percent, she said she could accept the fact that all service providers participated in the prevention of the pandemic.

Mrs. Tep Sophan underlined that the hotels where she and her family have stayed have strictly recorded the names, telephone numbers, and addresses of their guests in addition to temperature screening and hand cleaning at the front desk, while all the hotels’ staff have worn facemasks, but some guests were still negligent (without wearing facemasks).

“At restaurants, even at the beach, alcohol- and gel-based sanitizers have been put on each table for the guests,” she stressed. “From my own observation during my trip, I can say all stakeholders applied not more than 70 percent of the preventive measures, but this percentage is reasonable and acceptable for me.”

Mr. Touch Sopheak, a local boat service provider in Tumnub Mlech Natural Tourism Site in Kampot, said he had been informed by local authorities to ensure hygiene and prepare alcohol-based sanitizer for all guests who need his boat service for sightseeing.

Cambodia reported no new positive case of COVID-19 for four days in a row, therefore the tally remains at 273, including 174 Cambodians, 40 French, 17 Chinese, 13 Malaysians, 8 Indonesians, 7 Americans, 5 British, 3 Vietnamese, 3 Canadians, 1 Belgian, 1 Indian, and 1 Kazakhstani. Of them, 253 or 92.67 percent have recovered successfully.

After the first COVID-19 case detected in late January, Cambodia closed down public transports and banned mass gatherings in order to contain and prevent the spread of COVID-19, but did not lock down the country or cities, or shut down factories, markets, and restaurants.

Prime Minister Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo Hun Sen keeps urging his compatriots to pay high attention to the prevention of themselves, their family members and communities against the COVID-19 pandemic. He reminded them to remain vigilant not to be infected with the virus, especially during this Khmer New Year break compensation to ensure that there is no community transmission after this holiday.

The Premier also reminded the owners of resorts, tourism communities or supervisors of all tourism sites, guesthouses, hotels and restaurants, to ensure safety standards in conformity with the guidelines of the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Tourism.

Cambodian people have been enjoying a five-day holiday, starting from Monday, in compensation of their Khmer New Year holiday postponed in April in order to contain the COVID-19 spread.

(Photo: Khuth Sao)

By Heng Panha