Health Ministry Dismisses Fake News on Covid-19

AKP Phnom Penh, August 18, 2020–

The Ministry of Health has dismissed news reports released by The Cambodia Daily and UCA under the title, “Mystery in Cambodia over missing COVID-positive Chinese”, saying that they are bias and fake news.

The ministry’s Spokesperson H.E. Ms. Or Vandine today said the reports issued on Aug. 17 were bogus and they claimed that the ministry was concerned of six Chinese nationals who had been tested positive for the coronavirus.

The reports, she said, falsely mentioned that the Chinese Embassy requested the ministry not to disclose the cases or include these patients into its daily public announcement.

“The Ministry of Health would like to inform the public and these two media outlets that the ministry always publishes press release regarding the finding of new positive COVID-19 cases, those who have been recovered, and those who are receiving medical treatment in both public and private hospitals in a transparent manner,” H.E. Ms. Vandine said. “There is no case of COVID-19 that was not reported in the Kingdom.”

“Related to those six Chinese nationals, there was no secret. They were tested negative, which is not necessary to report to the public […] except the patients who have been treated and recovered,” she said.

H.E. Ms. Or Vandine continued that the reports issued by the above two media outlets have caused misperception, pointing out that the six Chinese nationals arrived Phnom Penh International Airport on July 23 and had tested for the virus immediately. They were quarantined at Chak Angre health centre since then.

Under support from the Chinese Embassy, she added, those six Chinese nationals had their second test on July 26, their third test on July 27 and their fourth test on Aug. 5. All tests were negative.

By Chea Vannak