Phnom Penh-Bavet Expressway Project Under Study

AKP Phnom Penh, February 21, 2020 —

A study on the construction of an expressway linking Phnom Penh capital to Bavet city, at the border with Vietnam, has been conducted.

The project was announced by H.E. Sun Chanthol, Senior Minister and Minister of Public Works and Transport at a press conference held on Feb. 21 at the Council of Ministers.

A framework agreement has been signed between the ministry and a Chinese firm, H.E. Senior Minister said.

Under the agreement, inked in December last year, the study will take eight months to complete and the report of the study will be submitted to the government which make a decision on the investment of the expressway project, he added.

“We give the firm an eight-month period to carry out the study […], and the report will be submitted to the government to decide whether or not we can invest on the project,” H.E. Sun Chanthol said.

The first study of Phnom Penh-Bavet expressway project had been conducted by JICA, but the government found that the project would cost a lot, based on the report, he continued.

The first ever expressway linking Phnom Penh to the coastal province of Preah Sihanouk, southwest of the country, is currently under construction.

Stretching over 190 kilometres, the expressway construction is scheduled to complete in 2023.

By Chea Vannak