Number of Visitors to Sambor Prei Kuk on the Rise

AKP Phnom Penh, October 04, 2018 —

Over 287,200 tourists visited Sambor Prei Kuk temples – Cambodia’s newly listed world heritage site – for the first nine months of 2018.

The update was shared recently by director of Kampong Thom provincial tourism development Mr. Seng An, underlining that the number suggested remarkable increase.

Of the visitors, 287,279 to be accurate, about 94 percent are national tourists and the rest 6 percent or 16,483 are foreigners.

The upturn of the number of visitors was credited to the effort of the Royal Government of Cambodia to maintain political stability and economic growth as well to promote the site.

Encompassing 3,000 hectare land surface, Sambor Prei Kuk – a group of Khmer ancient temples – sits in the forest located about 30 kilometres from Kampong Thom provincial town in the north of Cambodia.

The temples, believed to be built between 616 and 635, and their complex were listed as a world heritage site on July 8 during the 41st Session of the World Heritage Committee in Krakow of Poland.

(Photo: Khem Sovannara)

Article in Khmer by Sum Vanna

Article in English by Lim Nary